PhD, RNC-OB, FAAN
Brigadier General Dunlap Chair
Office: Nursing Building #117
Phone: (210) 829-3987
- PhD in Nursing Science - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- MSN (Acute Care Nurse Practitioner) - University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas
- BSN - Wichita State University
Brief Academic and Teaching History
- 2015 - Present: University of the Incarnate Word
- 2013-2015: Dean, Medical Education and Training Campus, Joint Base-Ft. Sam, Texas
- 2008-2011: Dean, United States Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine, Brooks City-Base, Texas
- 1993-1995: Officer in Charge of Aircrew Training (Led all aircrew training - 14 qualified crews)
- 1992-1993: 2nd Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, Rhein Main AB, GE - Instructor Flight Nurse
- NURS 7225 Concepts of Evaluation and Dissemination
- NURS 7320 Principles of Evidence-Based Practice
- NURS 7360 Health Policy Analysis
- NURS 7359 DNP Project I
- NURS 7365 DNP III: The Capstone
- NURS 7380 Project II
- NURS 7393 Project III
- NURS 6355 Nursing Research and Theory
- NURS 6355 Research for Evidence-Based Practice
- Flight Nursing - Ground and Flight Safety; Stresses of Flight; Equipment for C-141, C-9, & C-130
- Research for Graduate Medical Residencies in Preventive Medicine, Hyperbaric Medicine, Aerospace Medicine and Occupational Medicine
- Maternal Identity Formation
- Prenatal Maternal Anxiety and Stress
- Birth Outcomes
- Oxidative Stress/Inflammation and Placental Effects
- Maternal-Infant Attachment
- Military Families - Resilience and Adaptability
- American Academy of Nursing
- America Nurses Association/Texas Nurses Association
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses
- Sigma Health (Sigma Theta Tau)
- Society of Air Force Nurses
- Southern Nursing Research Society
Awards and Accomplishments
- 2012 - Clinical Researcher of the Year - Air Education and Trainin Command
- 2012 - The Rebecca Sealy Distinguished Alumnus, The University of Texas Medical Branch, School of Nursing
- 2011- Unite States Air Force Research Laboratory's Director's Award (Leadership and Service)
- 2011 - Director, Joint Combat Casualty Research Team for Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait and Bahrain
- 2010 - Inducted into the American Academy of Nursing
- 2010 - Interagency Institute for Healthcare Executives
- 2008 - Chief Nurse, Craig Joint Theater Hospital, Bagram Afghanistan
- 2007 - Federal Nursing Service Award, Association of Military Surgeons
- 2007 - D. Jean Wood Scholarship Award (Paper), 21st Southern Nursing Research Society
- 2002 - Outstanding Research Paper, Armed Forces District ACOG/AWHONN
- 2002 - Excellence in Nursing Award, Sigma Theta Tau, Alpha Delta Chapter
- 2000 - Chief Nurse, 320th Expeditionary Group, Eskan Village, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- 1995 - First Flight Nurse to support NASA Space Shuttle Transoceanic Abort Landing Site
- 1994 - Evacuated Boanian - Civilian Casualties from Sarajevo following market bombin
- 1989 - United States Air Force Nurse of the Year
- 1989 - Outstanding Nurse Preceptor Award
Intellectual Contributions (Publications)
- Dols, J. D., Beckmann-Mendez, D., DiLeo, H. A., Weis, K. L., & Medina-Calvo, M. (2018). Nurse-managed health centers: Measures of excellence. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 14(8), 613-619.
- Weis, K. L., Lederman, R. P., Walker, K. C., & Chan, W. (2017). Mentors offering maternal support reduces prenatal, pregnancy-specific anxiety in a sample of military women. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing, 46(5), 669-685.
- Thiam, M. A., Elmore, K. O., & Weis, K. L. (2017). The psychological aspects of motherhood. In M. Thiam (Ed.), Perinatal mental health and the military family: Identifying and treating mood and anxiety disorders (pp. 3-13). New York: Routledge.
- Thiam, M. A., & Weis, K. L. (2017). Overview of perinatal mood and anxiety disorders. In M. Thiam (Ed.), Perinatal mental health and the military family: Identifying and treating mood and anxiety disorders (pp. 14-31). New York: Routledge.
- Thiam, M. A., & Weis, K. L. (2017). Introduction to military service and the military family. In M. Thiam (Ed.), Perinatal mental health and the military family: Identifying and treating mood and anxiety disorders (pp. 69-81). New York: Routledge.
- Thiam, M. A., Hodson, D., & Weis, K. L. (2017). Future directions. In M. Thiam (Ed.), Perinatal mental health and the military family: Identifying and treating mood and anxiety disorders (pp. 218-221). New York: Routledge.
- Weis, K. L. & Elmore, K. O. (2017). Current military perinatal mental health treatment models. In M. Thiam (Ed.), Perinatal mental health and the military family: Identifying and treating mood and anxiety disorders (pp. 151-165). New York: Routledge.
- Weis, K. L., & Ryan, T. W. (2012). Mentors offering maternal support: A support intervention for military mothers. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing, 41, 303-313.
- Weis, K., & Ledermen, R. (2010). Prenatal spousal military deployment and maternal prenatal adaptation as predictors of postpartum maternal-infant attachment. SOJNR: Southern Online Journal of Nursing Research, 10(3), http://snrs.org/publications/SOJNR_articles2/Vol10Num03Main.htm
- Lederman, R. P., Weis, K. L. (2009). Psychosocial adaptation to pregnancy: Assessment of seven dimensions of maternal role development (3rd ed.). New York: Springer.
- Weis, K. L., Lederman, R. P., Lilly, A. E., & Schaffer, J. (2008). The relationship of military imposed marital separations on maternal acceptance of pregnancy. Research in Nursing & Health, 31, 196- 207.
- Weis, K. (2007). Birth of a mother: A guide for military spouses. Image Design Services, Parks Photographic Laboratory: Eglin AFB, FL.
- Weis, K. (2003). Asthma management across the life span: The childbearing woman with asthma. The Nursing Clinics of North America, 38, 665-673.
- 1990 - Present: Inpatient Obstetrical Nursing, National Certification Corporation
- 1997 - Present: High Risk Obstetrics, National Certification Corporation
- 2015 - Present: Registered Nurse, Texas State Board of Nursing
- 1997 - Present: Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, Kansas State Board of Nursing
- 1986 - Present: Registered Nurse, Kansas State Board of Nursing