PhD, RN, FNP-BC
Graduate Nursing Chair
DNP Program Director/NP Program Coordinator
Office: Nursing Building #141
Phone: (210) 283-6318
- Research Fellowship on Health Disparities (2008) - University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, Texas
- Ph.D. (2007) - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- M.S.N. (1998) - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- B.S.N. (1992) University of Texas at Austin
Brief Academic and Teaching HistoryDr. Beckmann-Mendez has over 20 years of experience providing primary care to patients of all ages in a variety of settings ranging from community health care, college health centers, and homeless clinics. She has maintained national certification as a family nurse practitioner and currently works in a nurse-managed health center providing wellness care for underserved populations. Dr.Beckmann-Mendez is the Graduate Nursing Chair, DNP Program Director, and the NP program coordinator for the Ila Faye Miller School of Nursing and Health Professions at the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, Texas. In addition to practice and teaching, her area of research focuses on health promotion/disease prevention behaviors primarily in underserved populations and the use of visual thinking strategies with art in NP education. She completed a one-year intensive research fellowship on Health Disparities through the University of North Texas in 2009. She has presented original research at multiple regional/national conferences and published data related to her research in peer-reviewed journals. Dr. Beckmann-Mendez is a member of the Texas Nurse Practitioners, Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society, and the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty.
- NP Education
- Health Promotion Behaviors
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- Texas Nurse Practitioners
- Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society
Intellectual Contributions (Publications)
- Klugman, C. & Beckmann-Mendez, D. A. (2015). One Thousand Word: Evaluating an Interdisciplinary Art Education Program. Journal of Nursing Education.
- Williams, M. T., Beckmann-Mendez, D. A., & Turkheimer, E. (2013). Cultural Barriers to African-American Participation in Anxiety Disorders Research. Journal of the National Medical Association, 105 (1), 33-41.
- Klugman, C., Peel, J. L., & Beckmann-Mendez, D. A. (2011). Art Rounds: Teaching Interprofessional Students Visual Thinking Strategies at One School. Academic Medicine, 86 (10).
- APRN - Family Nurse Practitioner, Texas Board of Nursing, (1999 - present)
- Registered Nurse, Texas Board of Nursing, (1992 - present)