DrPH, MSN, RN, PHNA-BC
Office: Nursing Building #230
Phone: (210) 283-6352
- DrPH - University of Texas at Houston School of Public Health
- MSN - University of the Incarnate Word
- MS in Health Professions - Texas State University
- BSN - University of Texas at Austin
Brief Academic and Teaching History
After 40 years in professional nursing practice in various specialties including 20 years in community/public health nursing. Dr. Hook transitioned into academic practice with teaching and learning emphasis on community/public health nursing practice.
Dr. Hook primary focuses on academic and teaching practices are:
- RN working to extent of practice in primary care settings.
- Development of population health concepts within nursing curriculum both undergraduate and graduate.
- Expanding the capacity of the health professional workforce to work in team-based primary care practice settings.
- NURS 6331 Population Health
- NURS 4365 and NURS 4265 Community/Public Health Nursing
- NURS 4562 Community/Public Health Nursing
- RN working to extent of practice in community/primary care settings
- Interprofessional Education and Practice
- Poverty Simulation as a teaching tool in health professional education
- American Nurses Association
- American Public Health Association
- Association of Community Health Nurse Educators
- National League of Nursing
- American Association of Ambulatory Care Nurses
Awards and Accomplishments
- 2018: Outstanding Contributions to Community/ Public Health Nursing Education for Teaching Innovation, Association of Community Health Nursing Educators.
- 2018: Sr. Maria Goretti Zehr Award for Innovation, University of the Incarnate Word.
- 2015: Ruth Stewart Nurse Imagemaker Award, Sigma Theta Tau, Delta Chapter, San Antonio.
- 2009: Employee Team of the Year Award, University Health System.
- 2007: Sister Mary Frank Leadership Award, University of the Incarnate Word.
- 2005: Nurse of the Year, Texas Nurses Association, Region 8. Honor
- 2015: Nurse Imagemaker, Sigma Theta Tau and Texas Nurses Association, District 8.
- 2008: Individual Recognition for Children's Health Care, Caring for the Uninsured Week.
- 2008: Florence Nightingale Society, University of the Incarnate Word.
Intellectual Contributions (Publications)
- Hook, L. D.T., Crocket, A., & Nguyen, C. (2019). Using an Interprofessional Simulation to Teach the Social Determinants of Health. 2019 NAP Annual Meeting and Forum, Pentagon City, Virginia.
- Parker, R. A., Hook, L. D., & Jones, M. E. (2016). Glycemic control: Can nurse practitioners on interprofessional collaborative practice teams enhance clinical outcomes? Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 28 (12)., doi: 10.1002/2327-6924.12391.
- Sunil, T. S., Spears, W. D., Hook, L., Castillo, J., & Torres, C. (2010). Initiation of and barriers to prenatal care use among low-income women. Journal of Maternal and Child Health, 14, 133-140.
- Reifsnider, E., Hook, L., Muennink, P., & Vogt, D. J. (2004). Education and Practice: Partners in Improving Public Health. Family & Community Health, 27 (4), 282-290.
- Registered Nurse, State of Texas
- Advanced Public Health Nurse - Basic Certification
- Poverty Simulation - Facilitator, 2014, Missouri Community Action - St. Louis, Missouri
- Master Trainer - AHQR TeamSTEPPS, 2013, San Antonio, Texas
- Project Investigator, Nurse, Education, Practice, Quality and Retention - Registered Nurses in Primary Car, (2018-2022) Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).
- Project Manager, City of San Antonio Head Start Lead Testing Purchased Services (2017-2022), City of San Antonio Head Start Program