EdD, MEd, BA
Kinesiology Department Director
Office: Wellness Center #132
Phone: (210) 832-2176
- Ed.D. - Physical Education - University of Houston - 2002
- M.Ed. - Physical Education - University of Houston - 1994
- B.A. - Anthropology - University of Houston - 1990
- B.A. - History - University of Houston - 1988
Brief Academic and Teaching HistoryI have a lifetime teaching certificate from the state of Texas. I taught physical education and coached in secondary private and public schools in Houston for 11 years. During my career in secondary education I coached football, baseball, soccer, and basketball. I have taught at the university level for the past 17 years. Before coming to UIW I was a faculty member at Texas State University and Ferrum College. My area of specialization is secondary physical education pedagogy and sport pedagogy.
Courses TaughtI teach several different courses for the Kinesiology Department. I teach graduate classes in Testing and Measurement and Curriculum Development in Kinesiology. I also teach undergraduate Kinesiology classes in secondary physical education pedagogy, coaching pedagogy and test and measurement. I also teach many activity classes that include Badminton, Basketball, Bowling, Flag Football, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball, Self-Defense, Physical Conditioning, Weight Training, Floor Hockey and Racquetball.
Research InterestsPhysical education pedagogy, physical literacy, obesity, life-long physical activity, health and fitness knowledge, sport, coaching pedagogy, wellness, exercise motivation and nutrition.
- Chinese Economists Society (CES)
- Society of Chinese Scholars on Exercise Physiology and Fitness (SCSEPF)
- International Council for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Sport and Dance, North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity (NASPSPA)
- Kappa Delta Pi, Phi Delta Kappa, SHAPE America, National Wellness Institute, Texas Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance
Intellectual Contributions (Publications)I have published 27 peer reviewed research articles, 17 opinion articles and 32 research abstracts in several different journals that include Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, JOPERD, Applied Research in Coaching and Athletics Annual, ICHPER-SD Research Journal, Applied Economics Letters, Journal of Swimming Research, Cogent Education, Cogent Business and Management, Journal of Chinese Economics, TAHPERD Journal, Texas Coach, and Leaven. I have also made over 100 scholarly presentations in the US, Canada, Qatar, China, Norway, Egypt, Turkey and Nigeria.