MSN, RN, CARN
Phone: (210) 829-3954
- MSN - University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- BSN - University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Brief Academic and Teaching History
- 2018-Currently: University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, TX
- 1983-1989: Angelo State University, San Angelo, TX
- 2018-2019, Community Health Nursing (clinical-primary) and Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing (clinical-primary), UIW Traditional Baccalaureate Nursing program
- 1988-1989, Psychiatric Nursing (didactic and clinical), Angelo State University, Associate Degree Nursing program
- 1983-1989, Community Health Nursing and Management in Nursing (didactic and clinical), Angelo State University, RN to BSN program
- Educational strategies for nursing
- Health Promotion
- Complementary and Alternative Health Care
- Environmental Health
- American Nurses Association
- Texas Nurses Association
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association
- Association of Community Health Nurse Educators
- Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments
Awards and Accomplishments
- 1990 - 2015, Director, Texas Peer Assistance Program for Nurses
- 2015, Texas School Nurses Organization, Midland, Texas. “Substance Use Disorders and Related Issues.”
- 2014, Commencement Speaker, Baptist School of Health Professions, August graduating class of nursing and health professions
- 2012, Keynote Speaker and individual session (x2) speaker, St David’s South Austin Medical Center’s “Pain Week”
- 2009 - 2011, Invited member of National Council of State Boards of Nursing's Committee on the Regulatory Management of Substance Use Disorders
- 1998, International Nurses Society on Addictions, Outstanding Contributions to Peer Assistance Award
- 1996, Black Nurses Association of Greater Houston - Outstanding Speaker Award
Intellectual Contributions (Publications)
- 2015: Van Doren, M., (2015). Evolving TPAPN provides safety net for Texas. Texas Nursing Voice. 9(2), 1-5.
- 2015: Van Doren, M., (2015). Texas Board of Nursing Bulletin, Jan, 2015, 46(1), 7
- 2014: Van Doren, M., (2014). TPAPN: Helping Nurses. Texas Nursing. 88(1), 6-7, 9.
- 2014: Van Doren, M., (2014). TPAPN restructures to meet national guidelines and needs of participants. Texas Nursing Voice, Jan-March, 2014, Vol.8(1), p.14(1)
- 2012: Van Doren, M. (2012). The nurse’s nurse: Peer advocacy in an alternative program for nurses. In Preoperative Nursing Clinics, Saunders of Elsevier, Philadelphia. 7(4), 441-446.
- 2012: Van Doren, M. (2012). Recognizing substance use disorders Nursing 2012 Critical Care. Elsevier, Philadelphia, 7(5), 38-47.
- 2011: Monroe, T., VanDoren, M., Smith L., Cole, J., Kenega, H. (2011). Nurses recovering from substance use disorders while continuing to work: A review of policies and position statements. Journal of Nursing Administration, 41(10), 1-7.
- 2011: National Council of State Boards of Nursing (2011). Substance use disorder in nursing: A resource manual and guidelines for alternative and disciplinary monitoring program. NCSBN, Chicago.
- RN, TX
- CPR, BLS Provider
- Member, Texas Nature Conservancy
- Member, National Audubon Society