Mentors Offering Maternal Support (M-O-M-S) Research Program Director
Office: Nursing Building #223
Phone: (210) 841-7258
Brief Academic and Teaching HistoryI have been a Registered Nurse since 2000. My specialty is in Emergency Nursing and Research. I have worked as part-time faculty at The University of Incarnate Word School of Nursing teaching the undergraduate Basic Health Assessment Lab course.
Courses TaughtBasic Health Assessment Lab
Research InterestsCurrently, I am the Program Manager/Research Coordinator for the Mentors Offering Maternal Support (M-O-M-S) study, a military funded study on psychosocial adaptation to pregnancy among active duty women and military wives'. This research is a collaboration between the U.S. Military and UIW School of Nursing.
Recent Intellectual Contributions
- Weis, K., Lederman, R., Walker, K., and Chan, W. (2017). Mentors offering maternal support reduces prenatal, pregnancy-specific anxiety in a sample of military women. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 46(5), 669-685.
- Weis, K., Lederman, R., Walker, K., and Chan, W. (2017). Longitudinal evaluation of a prenatal mentoring program for decreasing maternal anxiety in a military sample. (panel session, 28th International Nursing Research Congress, Sigma Theta Tau, Dublin, Ireland, Jul 27-31, 2017).
- Weis, K., Lederman, R., Walker, K., Paden, R., and Chan, W. (2017). "Predictors of increased prenatal maternal anxiety, self-esteem and resilience in a sample of military women". (symposium, 38th Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine (SBM), San Diego, CA 29 Mar-1 Apr, 2017).
- Weis, K., Lederman, R., Walker, K., Valentin, M. and Chan, W. (2016).Mentors offering maternal support (M-O-M-STM): Findings from a randomized control trial of program effectiveness. (podium presentation, 9thAnnual UIW Research Week, San Antonio, TX, Feb 22-26, 2016).
Awards and Accomplishments
- Biltmore Who’s Who Among Healthcare Professionals
- Magna Cum Laude – BSN
Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Registered Nurse - Texas and California
- CPR/AED Health Care Provider Certified
- Trauma Nurse Core Course Certified (TNCC)
- Emergency Nurse Pediatric Course Certified (ENPC)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support Certified (PALS)
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certified (NVCI)
- FEMA Disaster Management - Course Completion
More InfoI am a licensed Texas Realtor, parishioner at Santo Nino Catholic Church, a proud wife and mother of 2 daughters.